Uninstall McAfee VirusScan
Before you install Microsoft Security Essentials, you must first completely remove McAfee VirusScan from your computer.
- Launch the control panel
- Select Uninstall a Program (W7)
- Uninstall the programs that have McAfee in the title
- Immediately install Microsoft Security Essentials
On the Windows taskbar, click Start.
Select Control Panel.
Click Uninstall a Program.
- In the list of installed programs, look for the following programs: McAfee AntiSpyware Enterprise Module, McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, and McAfee Agent.
- Uninstall the McAfee components in this order using the method appropriate for your version of Windows:
- McAfee AntiSpyware Enterprise Module (if present).
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.
- McAfee Agent (if present).
- Select the program from the list.
- Click Uninstall.
- If prompted, confirm the removal.
Reboot your computer to verify that VirusScan no longer loads. Look for the McAfee icon in the System Tray in the bottom right corner of the Windows Desktop taskbar.
- If the icon is present, the McAfee VirusScan application did not uninstall completely. Contact email@example.com for assistance with additional steps that may be necessary to successfully uninstall the McAfee VirusScan application.
- If VirusScan does not load, proceed immediately to Step 7.
- Install Microsoft Security Essentials. Do not browse the Internet until the installation of your new anti-virus protection is complete.