BlueJeans provides a cloud-based audio/video/content-sharing conferencing service. The service is vendor-agnostic and allows up to 150 endpoints to connect for a meeting. An endpoint can be a room telepresence system, laptop, tablet, smartphone, or standard telephone (audio-only connection). BlueJeans supports high-resolution video conferencing (1080p), high-resolution content sharing (up to 1080p), and real-time video sharing. Live chat is available during meetings. U-M's contract with BlueJeans enables all U-M faculty, staff, and students to register for a BlueJeans User Account.
BlueJeans collects and maintains data related to the date, time, and attendees of a meeting. Actual video or audio content is only stored by BlueJeans when the meeting host turns on the recording feature.
U-M's agreement with BlueJeans includes a Business Associate Agreement. This means individuals may use this service to share Protected Health Information (PHI) regulated by HIPAA. Complying with HIPAA's requirements is a shared responsibility. Users sharing and storing PHI in BlueJeans are responsible for complying with HIPAA safeguards, including:
- Using and disclosing only the minimum necessary PHI for the intended purpose.
- Obtaining all required authorizations for using and disclosing PHI.
- Ensuring that PHI is seen only by those who are authorized to see it.
- Obtaining all necessary data-sharing agreements and Business Associate Agreements for using and disclosing PHI.
- Following any additional steps required by your unit to comply with HIPAA.
Important considerations when sharing sensitive data:
- Recording. Do not use the recording feature unless it is required for a specific institutional purpose and you have obtained permission from all participants.
- Encryption. Enable encryption. Under Settings, in the Schedule Meeting section, click Advanced Meeting Options, then choose Always Encrypt Meeting. For details, see BlueJeans Support: How to Encrypt your meetings.
Important considerations when sharing PHI:
- Do not share PHI in BlueJeans Events. Encryption is not supported in BlueJeans Events.
- Meetings that involve PHI, unless conducted via phone, must be set up with encryption.
- Recordings of meetings that involve PHI must be stored either in BlueJeans; on a secure, encrypted computing device; or in a file storage service approved for PHI.
- When sharing recordings in BlueJeans that contain PHI, use the Enterprise Level sharing option to ensure that access is limited to appropriate individuals.
- For use in telemedicine or telehealth, you must consult Virtual Care at TelehealthTeam@med.umich.edu or the Michigan Medicine internal website.
Note that you cannot use Blue Jeans with PHI regulated by FISMA, that is, PHI received or owned by the federal government, such as the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and Veterans Affairs (VA) data.
Restricted countries. People in some countries will not be able to connect into a Blue Jeans meeting from a video endpoint, due to export controls or economic sanctions laws imposed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, United States Department of the Treasury. See BlueJeans Support: Countries prohibited from connecting to BlueJeans.