eResearch consists of technologies and tools that support the business services used to manage the university’s research enterprise. Services are provided using a vendor-licensed software platform that is heavily configured to the specific needs of U-M.
The four components of eResearch are:
- Regulatory Management
- Proposal Management
- Animal Management
- Conflict of Interest Management
While eResearch provides a secure and compliant environment for a number of types of sensitive institutional data, users should only place the following types of data into the system:
- Applications for new research projects involving human subjects, as well as amendments and renewals for those projects. This should not include data related to the study.
- Adverse event information for studies involving human subjects. This should not include data about the individuals impacted by the adverse event.
- Registrations and renewals for labs conducting recombinant DNA research.
- Proposals for any type of external research funding (e.g., grants, contracts).
- Information pertaining to nonfinancial, or unfunded agreements related to research.
- Information related to the tracking of outgoing subcontracts from U-M.
- Applications (protocols) for new research projects involving animals, as well as amendments to those projects.
- Information related to the care and use of laboratory animals.
- Research team members’ disclosures of outside interests/commitments and any associated plans to manage potential conflicts of interest.