The E-signature Service - SignNow supports the automation of processes for requesting and capturing signatures and information on documents. This service is used to support a diverse set of document workflows, some system-supported (automated) and some that had been manual. In addition, the service provides enabling support that includes SSO access, SignNow service administration, contract and vendor management, and support and training.
The E-signature Service - SignNow is supported by a third party cloud (SaaS) service offering called SignNow. Users of this service can span all U-M campuses (Ann Arbor, Flint, Dearborn, and Michigan Medicine), as well as include any institution or individual that might transact with these entities to provide information and/or a signature.
The E-signature Service - SignNow provides a secure environment in which to maintain or share many types of the university’s sensitive institutional data.
The SignNow environment’s compliance with FDA 21 CFR Part 11 has been validated to support its use in certain FDA-regulated activities.
U-M's agreement with SignNow includes a Business Associate Agreement. This means individuals may use this service to maintain Protected Health Information (PHI) regulated by HIPAA. Complying with HIPAA's requirements is a shared responsibility. You are responsible for complying with HIPAA safeguards, including:
- Using and disclosing only the minimum necessary PHI for the intended purpose.
- Obtaining all required authorizations for using and disclosing PHI.
- Ensuring that PHI is seen only by those who are authorized to see it.
- Obtaining all necessary data-sharing agreements and Business Associate Agreements for using and disclosing PHI.
- Following any additional steps required by your unit to comply with HIPAA.