Every October, ITS Information Assurance (IA) celebrates Cybersecurity Awareness Month by hosting events, organizing activities, and presenting resources to promote information security and privacy, and to remind members of the U-M community of their shared responsibility to protect the university and one another's information, data, and systems. Check out all the Cybersecurity Awareness Month events, activities, and resources at U-M below!
Distinguished Lecture Series: Leadership in Technology with Toomas Hendrik Ilves
Join Toomas Hendrik Ilves, president of Estonia from 2006-16, and Dr. Ravi Pendse, VP for information technology and chief information officer at U-M, for a discussion on the intersection of technology and government, cybersecurity, and the transformative power of technology.
Wednesday, September 28, 2022 - 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. over Zoom
Leadership in Technology Recording
SUMIT Keynote: Adventures in Securing At-Risk People
Join Runa Sandvik, founder of Granitt focused on digital security for journalists, and Elodie Vialle, press freedom defender and consultant on digital safety and free expression, for a presentation and a conversation about securing journalists and newsrooms.
Event recording coming soon!
SUMIT Events for the U-M Community
The annual Security at University of Michigan IT or SUMIT series features online events presented by IA and our partners. See details of 2022 events on the SUMIT 2022 page.
Cybersecurity Challenge for U-M Students
The annual Cybersecurity Challenge returns for 2022! October 10-28, U-M students can test their knowledge of cybersecurity and privacy for the chance to win prizes. Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses will each hold a challenge for their students this year!
Featured Cybersecurity Resources
- The Cybersecurity Month Checklist includes materials to help raise cybersecurity awareness among faculty, staff, and students. Just make a copy of the Google Doc and check off the items to track your progress.
- Securing the University of Michigan is a video which explores the cyber threats we face and the actions the university takes to protect its resources and the U-M community. Watch and share with your fellow students, faculty and staff!
- Be Safe Online is a collection of resources that can help any user of technology protect their security and privacy, and be a better digital citizen.
- Manage Your Passwords and Secure Your Devices are great resources to share with your teams and coworkers. Strong passwords and secure devices are the best defense against unauthorized access to your data. Use strong, unique passwords for each site or service used at U-M, and configure devices to make them harder for intruders to access.
- IT Security & Privacy for Remote Work & Study and Safe Computing When Traveling are resources for protecting you and your data when working or learning away from campus. Find information on securing your devices and connections, protecting your video conferencing sessions, and much more.
The U-M Safe Computing website has lots more guidance and information about what we can do as a university community to protect ourselves, each other, and the University of Michigan. Explore the site to learn about our shared responsibility and about all the resources available to protect you and the U.
Sponsors and Supporting Groups
We gratefully acknowledge these groups for sponsoring events and providing support for SUMIT and Cybersecurity Awareness Month at U-M:
U-M Information and Technology Services