When you report phishing, you help U-M staff update anti-phishing defenses, including threat intelligence, to protect others at the university and Michigan Medicine.
Google at U-M Users
Report to U-M. Send the entire message to ReportPhish@umich.edu. Provide full information by sending what Google calls the message original:
- Click the down arrow next to the Reply arrow and select Show original.
If your message is rejected when you try report spam or phishing to ReportPhish@umich.edu, try the following:
- In the message you would like to report, click the down arrow next to the Reply arrow and select Show original.
- In the Original Message screen, click Download Original to download the page as a .txt file.
- Compose a new message, attach the file you downloaded, and send the new message and attachment to ReportPhish@umich.edu.
Report to Google. You can also report the phish to Google by using the Google's report phishing option.
Michigan Medicine Outlook Users
- Select the suspicious email.
- In the Outlook menu bar, click the Report Phishing button.
- The email will be deleted, and Michigan Medicine Information Assurance will be notified.
The Report Phishing button is not available on mobile devices. If you don't see the button, send the suspected phishing email to ReportPhish@umich.edu.
If you are not using Outlook at Michigan Medicine you can report suspected phish by sending them to ReportPhish@umich.edu. Follow these steps for your operating system:
- Open the message you wish to forward.
- Click the icon with three dots and select the option to Forward as attachment.
- Type any additional information you wish to send and then click Send.
- Start a new message. (It helps to resize the new message and inbox windows so you can see both at once.)
- Drag and drop the message you wish to report into the new message window.
- Hit send.
Apple Mail Users
Report suspected phish by sending them to ReportPhish@umich.edu.
- Select the email you wish to report.
- In the View menu, select Message, and then Internet Headers to show the full headers.
- Click the Forward button and forward to ReportPhish@umich.edu.