ALERT: Update VMware vCenter Server for critical vulnerability
Wednesday, October 25, 2023
This message is intended for U-M IT staff who are responsible for systems running VMware vCenter Server.
VMware has released updates to address a critical vulnerability in VMware vCenter Server that could lead to possible remote code execution. Affected VMware servers and components should be updated as soon as possible after appropriate testing. Because of the severity of the vulnerability and the lack of workaround to mitigate it, VMware has released patches for some legacy versions of their products, as noted below.
A critical vulnerability in VMware vCenter Server can be exploited to allow remote code execution on the affected servers. The vulnerability can be exploited remotely, without need for user interaction.
Because of the severity of the vulnerability and the lack of workaround to mitigate it, VMware has released patches for some legacy versions of their products, as noted below.
- VMware vCenter Server 8.0 (8.0U1d or 8.0U2)
- VMware vCenter Server 7.0 (7.0U3o)
- VMware Cloud Foundation 5.x and 4.x
- vCenter Server 6.7U3 and 6.5U3
- VCF 3.x
Update vCenter Server as soon as possible after appropriate testing. Because of the severity of this vulnerability, the need for immediate action supersedes the remediation timeframes in Vulnerability Management (DS-21). Links to updates and additional information can be found in VMware VMSA-2023-0023.
When possible, limiting access to affected ports is a good additional security measure, but does not replace patching as a mitigation for this vulnerability.
An out-of-bounds write vulnerability in vCenter's DCE/RPC protocol implementation can allow for remote code execution. The specific ports linked to this vulnerability are:
This vulnerability does not require authentication or user interaction, and can be exploited remotely.
Questions, Concerns, Reports
Please contact ITS Information Assurance through the ITS Service Center.
- VMware VMSA-2023-0023 (VMware, 10/25/23)
- VMware fixes critical code execution flaw in vCenter Server (Bleeping Computer, 10/25/23)
- Act Now: VMware Releases Patch for Critical vCenter Server RCE Vulnerability (The Hacker News, 10/25/23)
- VMware patches critical vulnerability in vCenter Server (CVE-2023-34048) (Help Net Security, 10/25/23)