The IT User Advocate works with the University of Michigan community to ensure that U-M information technology policies and guidelines are followed and responds to reports of abuse and misuse of U-M IT resources.
The User Advocate enforces compliance through a variety of means, including temporary denial of service or filing a formal complaint about a student with the Office of Student Conflict Resolution (OSCR).
Specifically, the User Advocate:
- Receives and investigate reports of U-M technology and information policy violations as they pertain to U-M-provided resources.
- Supports problem-solving with other information technology service providers and campus units—including Student Life and the Department of Public Safety & Security (DPSS).
- Provides IT policy interpretation and information to help students, faculty, and staff understand university and departmental policy, including the responsible use of shared resources.
- Provides guidance and procedures for handling some IT policy-related matters (for example, Getting Access to Someone Else's Account).
- Engages in outreach activities, including general community education and awareness.
- Threatening or harassing email
- Digital copyright infringement
- Promotion of a commercial enterprise when the sender's email address ends in @umich.edu
- Other violations of responsible use of U-M information technology resources
Report Phishing Email
Report phishing that appears to impersonate a U-M address or service by sending the entire message—with full email headers if possible—to ReportPhish@umich.edu. Members of the Michigan Medicine community can click the Report Phishing button in Outlook to report phishing.
U-M Google Mail users: If your message is rejected when you try send a phishing report, try the following:
- In U-M Google Mail, click the down arrow next to Reply and select Show original on the message you would like to report.
- Click the Download Original link to save the page as a .txt file.
- Compose a new message, attach the downloaded file, and send it to ReportPhish@umich.edu.