If you are working off campus and are accessing U-M data classified as Restricted, High, or Moderate, you must use a secure internet connection, including the appropriate VPN for your campus. Always use secure networks to protect your personal data as well. If you are traveling, see the Guidelines for Domestic and International Travelers for tips related to travel.
Connect Securely Off Campus
Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Install and use the appropriate Virtual Private Network (VPN) client for your campus. This provides you with a secure computing experience when using a wireless connection. When you use a U-M VPN, you are using a University of Michigan network from wherever you are; this allows you to access U-M resources that require you to be connecting from a U-M network.
- U-M VPN. Available to all U-M students, faculty, staff, and sponsored affiliates, as well as alumni and retirees.
- MiWorkspace Users: If you have a MiWorkspace Windows laptop, you should not need to use the VPN as it will be set up to automatically securely connect. A MiWorkspace Mac laptop will need to use the VPN.
- Michigan Medicine Cisco AnyConnect VPN. Allows members of the UMHS community to access Protected Health Information (PHI), Clinical Network and Applications, Schedulon, and Printing, as well as to access file servers and internal UMHS web content. For more information, installers, and instructions, see VPN - Cisco AnyConnect SSL Client in the UMHS KnowledgeBase.
- UM-Dearborn VPN. For students, faculty, staff, and sponsored guests on the Dearborn campus, UM-Dearborn ITS provides VPN and other networking services.
- UM-Flint VPN. For use by students, faculty, and staff on the Flint campus.
Secure Your Home Wireless Network
Take steps to Secure Your Home Wireless Network, and make sure to secure any new devices you add to it. Remember that all internet-enabled devices should be kept up to date to protect your network.
Use a Cellular Network
Your cellular carrier network is a good choice for a secure connection. Remember to Secure Your Mobile Device, and see the Guidelines for Domestic and International Travelers if you are traveling.
Connect Securely On Campus
Use a Wired Connection
Wired connections to the Internet from on-campus computers, including Campus Computing Site computers, benefit from the university's secured networks. These are your best option for a secure connection whenever possible.
MWireless is a secure WiFi network and should be used for wireless connections by all of the U-M community whenever possible. Before using the service, you will need to configure settings on your WiFi device. See Connecting to MWireless.