Identity Theft

U-M Identity Theft Prevention Program

The U-M Identity Theft Prevention Program is designed to detect, prevent and mitigate identity theft in connection with the opening of a covered account or any existing covered accounts within the university's UM-Ann Arbor, UM-Flint, and UM-Dearborn campuses.

U-M Legal Services Plan

Credit monitoring and identity theft services are included with employee enrollment in the U-M Legal Services Plan.

Identity theft occurs when someone uses your name, Social Security number, credit card number, or other personal information to commit fraud or other crimes.

If You Suspect Your Identity Has Been Compromised

Place a security freeze and/or a fraud alert on your credit report

Contact the three nationwide credit reporting agencies,  Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion, to place a security freeze and/or a year-long fraud alert on your credit report. These services are free and help prevent new accounts from being opened in your name. 

  • A security freeze prevents businesses from checking your credit report and stays in place until you lift it. Freezing your credit report also means you will need to lift the freeze before applying for new credit, or doing business that might rely on checking your credit (for example, applying for a car loan, being approved by a new landlord, or getting some types of insurance).
  • A fraud alert lets businesses know that they must verify your identity before they issue new credit in your name. A fraud alert lasts one year and can be renewed.

For more information, refer to the Federal Trade Commission Consumer Advice website.

Review your credit report, credit card statements, and other financial information for suspicious activity

  • You can request a free credit report from each of the three nationwide consumer credit reporting agencies (listed above) per 12-month period. The easiest way to get free copies of your credit report is to visit For more information, see the Federal Trade Commission's Free Credit Reports page.
  • Look for suspicious activity, such as new accounts you did not open or purchases you didn't make.

Set up alerts for your credit card(s) and bank accounts

These alerts will send you an email or text message when money is spent above certain thresholds or your account has been used without the card present.

Report identity theft to the federal government and get a recovery plan

To report identity theft to the federal government and get a recovery plan, visit the Federal Trade Commission's website. This is the federal government’s one-stop resource for identity theft victims. The site provides streamlined checklists and sample letters to guide you through the recovery process.

Complete and submit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039

The FTC's website allows you to file IRS Form 14039 online when you report identity theft. Or you can download Form 14039 in PDF format for filing.

If you find your personal information has been used to commit fraud, file a report with your local police department

This will allow you to send a copy of the Identity Theft Report to creditors that require evidence that you allege a crime has occurred. You will also be able to place an extended fraud alert or a credit freeze on your credit line. Learn more at FTC Extended Fraud Alerts and Credit Freezes.