How to Report
Find out about reporting IT security incidents and how they are handled in this short video:
Text Summary: Report an IT Security Incident Video.
Report actual or suspected IT security incidents as soon as possible so that work can begin to investigate and resolve them.
If the incident poses any immediate danger, call 911 to contact law enforcement authorities immediately.
You can also report IT security incidents within your unit or department.
- MiWorkspace Units: You can report incidents to the ITS Service Center.
- Michigan Medicine: Report incidents to the Health Information Technology & Services (HITS) Service Desk:
- Phone: 734-936-8000
- Web: Online Service Portal (Level-2 password required)
- In person: Help Me Now locations
- All Other Units: You can report incidents to the Security Unit Liaison designated by your school, college, or department or to your IT department.
Unsure where to report an incident? You can always report it to [email protected].
What Is an IT Security Incident?
An IT security incident is attempted or actual:
- Unauthorized access, use, disclosure, modification, or destruction of information
- Interference with information technology operation
- Violation of explicit or implied acceptable use policy
- Compromised user accounts
- Computer system intrusion
- Ransomware infection
- Unauthorized access to, or use of, systems, software, or data
- Unauthorized changes to systems, software, or data
- Loss or theft of equipment used to store or work with sensitive university data
- Denial-of-service attack
- Interference with the intended use of IT resources
Why Report an Incident?
- ITS Information Assurance (IA) can help you resolve the incident and recover your account/assets.
- U-M units: if the incident involves the potential for recoverable losses, you must report the incident to IA* in order to submit a claim on your cyber risk insurance coverage.
- It is U-M policy to report IT security incidents; see Information Security Incident Reporting (SPG 601.25).
* IA is the liaison to the Office of Risk Management with respect to initiating claims under the cyber risk insurance coverage that Risk Management provides to U-M units.
For Unit IT Staff
See Responding to an IT Security Incident for incident-handling guidelines for U-M units, a quick reference guide, and an operating level agreement that describes the responsibilities of central offices. See also Incident Response Roles and Responsibilities.