October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. Below are some events at U-M and online in 2019 to help you learn more about how you can protect your online identity and information.
- Expanding two-factor protection to students. The campaign to extend two-factor protection to all U-M students goes into high gear this month. Students will be required to use two-factor (Duo) for Weblogin as of January 29, 2020. Faculty, staff, and sponsored affiliates are already required to use it.
- Three things you can do to improve IT security. Cybersecurity tips—as well as information about National Cybersecurity Awareness Month activities—were sent to all U-M faculty and staff through email on October 3, 2019.
- Social media. Follow us @umichTECH for cybersecurity tips throughout October, and watch for cybersecurity Instagram Stories on @uofmichigan:
- Cybersecurity 101 for students. In late October, students on the Ann Arbor campus will receive an email invitation to test their IT security knowledge by taking the Cybersecurity 101 Exam. Those who complete the exam with a score of 90% or higher will be entered into a drawing for prizes.
- MitiGate launch. In late October, Information Assurance (IA) will launch MitiGate, a new online gateway to unit IT security risk and compliance data for Security Unit Liaisons (SULs) and unit IT leadership.
- Safe Computing Newsletter. The Fall 2019 issue was sent to subscribers and published on Safe Computing on October 21.
- SUMIT_2019. Security at University of Michigan IT (SUMIT) is a free annual event where you can hear recognized experts discuss the latest technical, legal, policy, and operational trends, threats, and tools in cyber security and privacy. SUMIT_2019 will be held Tuesday, October 29, at the Rackham Auditorium on the UM-Ann Arbor campus. Register for SUMIT_2019 now!
- Dentistry. Dental Informatics is holding weekly presentations on cybersecurity topics on Wednesdays (October 9, 16. 23, and 30), 12:15–12:45 p.m. See flyer for details: Don't get Tricked. It's no Treat.
Michigan Medicine Activities
During October, Michigan Medicine Information Assurance will emphasize personal accountability and stress the importance of taking practical steps to enhance cybersecurity at home and in the workplace. Watch for this National Cybersecurity Awareness Month poster throughout the month, as well weekly digital signs and articles in Michigan Medicine Headlines focusing on different themes during October.
Each week, there will be a contest—a word-search, a crossword puzzle, and so on. The first 10 people at Michigan Medicine to provide correct answers will win a swag box filled with prizes. Submit contest answers to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Week of October 1. Keeping you and your family safe.
- It’s personal: Cybersecurity is essential both at home, in the workplace (Michigan Medicine Headlines, 10/2/19)
- Making Cybersecurity Personal to You and Your Family (PDF poster)
- Cybersecurity Maze (PDF)
- Week of October 7. Password security.
- Cybersecurity Awareness Month: Is Your Password Secure? (Michigan Medicine Headlines, 10/7/19)
- Is Your Password Secure? (PDF poster)
- Cybersecurity Crossword Puzzle (PDF)
- Week of October 14. Encryption
- Cybersecurity Awareness Month: Spot the risks for a chance to win prizes! (Michigan Medicine Headlines, 10/14/19)
- Encrypting Your Personal Devices (PDF poster)
- Spot the Risky Items Game (PDF)
- Week of October 21. Physical security
- Cybersecurity Awareness Month: Learn about physical security for your chance to win prizes! (Michigan Medicine Headlines, 10/21/19)
- Physical Security (PDF poster)
- Cybersecurity Word Scramble (PDF)
- Week of October 28. Phishing
- Don't Take the Bait! Beware of Phishing (PDF poster)
Events Online and Elsewhere
See StaySafeOnline's list of National Cybersecurity Awareness Month events online and around the country.