See the ITS Remote Resources Guide for more about IT resources for remote work and study at U-M.
Secure Your Computer, Smartphone, and More
- Set a PIN, passcode, or biometric for access to your devices.
- Keep your software up-to-date.
- See Security of Personally Owned Devices That Access or Maintain Sensitive Institutional Data (SPG 601.33) for related policy.
Secure Your Connections
- Use a VPN to secure your connection from off-campus. Note that MiWorkspace Windows computers are equipped with DirectAccess. It automatically protects many of your connections to U-M resources for remote work without you needing to do anything. You may still need to use the U-M VPN to connect to some resources, and you should use a VPN to secure work connections from your personal computer. You can read details on the DirectAccess page.
- Set a unique password for your home WiFi network.
- On the web, look for HTTPS at the beginning of the URL. It means the connection is encrypted.
Secure Your Videoconferencing
Beware of Phishing, Scams, and Fraud
- Check the URL before you click links in emails:
- On a computer, hover over the link with your mouse.
- On a smartphone or tablet, press the link and hold down.
- Do not open unsolicited or unexpected shared documents and email attachments.
- Watch for coronavirus scams.
Protect Sensitive Data
International & Travel Considerations
- Connecting from abroad? Be aware that some U-M resources are not available from outside the U.S. See International Access to U-M Resources for details.
Protect Your Privacy
- Cover your computer’s webcam when not needed.
- Lock your screen or close your laptop when you are away from it.
- Secure Your Devices
- Video: Secure Your Devices: For You and the U
- Your Responsibilities for Protecting Sensitive Data When Using Your Own Devices
- Endpoint Protection (Antivirus, Anti-Malware) for Personal Computers
- Encrypt Your Data and Devices
- MiWorkspace Security & Privacy
- Secure Your Internet Connection (includes VPN info for all U-M campuses)
- Secure Your Home Wireless Network
- How to Secure a Hangouts Meet Session
- How to Secure Microsoft Teams Meetings
- How to Secure Meetings in Zoom
- Sensitive U-M Data on Personal Devices
- Protect Sensitive Data
- Comply With Laws, Policies, and Regulations
- Video: Safe Computing When Traveling
- Guidelines for Domestic and International Travelers
- Taking Tech Devices Across International Borders
- Travel Safely with Technology